Mestayer Law Firm, PLLC

Office Hours:
Mon. – Thurs.: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Fri.: 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Can My Kids Get Social Security Benefits if I am Disabled?

Can My Kids Get Social Security Benefits if I am Disabled?

Can My Kids Get Social Security Benefits if I am Disabled?

Becoming disabled after years of working can be a challenging season of adjustment. Anyone who has become disabled and is also the main provider for their family has the added financial stress (on top of the pre-existing physical and emotional stresses) of taking care of their loved ones while not being able to work. Fortunately, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), in many cases, also extends benefits to the dependents of disabled individuals. How do you know if your children can receive benefits?


Children who are related to the disabled individual in the following ways may be eligible to receive benefits through SSDI:

  • Children who are biologically related to the disabled individual
  • Children who have been legally adopted by the disabled individual
  • Stepchildren
  • Biological grandchildren (if the children’s parents are deceased)
  • Step-grandchildren (if the children’s parents are deceased)

Children who are eligible may receive these benefits if the child is unmarried, younger than 18 years of age or until the age of 19 while they are in school full time through the 12th grade.


Eligible children may be awarded up to 50 percent of the disabled parent’s full retirement or SSDI benefits. There are limits as to how much a family may receive, and while the calculation formulas are similar, the percentage of benefits received may vary from 150 to 180 percent per family. These numbers are dependent on how much the disabled individual has worked and already paid towards Social Security. The amount that the disabled person receives will not fluctuate; however, if the combined amount the family receives exceeds the set limit, the children’s benefits will be adjusted until the limit has been reached. It should be noted that children may receive up to 75 percent of the parent’s SSDI if the parent passes away while receiving benefits.

What Do I Need to Apply for My Children?

To apply for SSDI benefits for your children, you will need a variety of information. The primary necessities include:

  • Your social security number
  • The social security numbers of each dependent for which you are applying
  • The birth certificates for each dependent for which you are applying

If you are applying for your child who is over the age of 18 but also a full time student, you may also need to provide proof of school enrollment. Once you meet with your case manager with the Social Security office, you will be informed if any other information is needed.

Mestayer Law Firm provides civil litigation for clients throughout the Gulf Coast area including Pascagoula, Biloxi, and Gulfport. If you are making future plans for your estate, then contact us today and let us help take care of every detail of your finances. Call us today at 228-762-1193 or visit We are your legal experts! You can also visit our office located at 2128 Ingalls Ave. in Pascagoula, Mississippi. We look forward to talking with you!

No representation is made that the quality of legal services performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

This article does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am licensed to practice law in Mississippi and have based the information presented on US laws. This article is legal information and is for entertainment and informational purposes only and should not be seen as legal advice. You should consult with an attorney before you rely on this information. Any information provided in this blog is accurate and true to the best of my knowledge, but that there may be omissions, errors or mistakes.

Services Offered at Mestayer Law Firm, PLLC: